[Air-L] CFP: CHI Workshop on Microblogging

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Mon Oct 19 21:05:04 PDT 2009

MICROBLOGGING: WHAT AND HOW CAN WE LEARN FROM IT?

CHI 2010 Workshop
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Saturday, April 11, 2010

Workshop Site: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~julia/chi2010.html

ORGANIZERS
Julia Grace, IBM Research, Almaden
Dejin Zhao, Penn State University, University Park
danah boyd, Microsoft Research, New England

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION

Communication via short, real-time message broadcast, also known as
microblogging, is relatively a new communication channel for people to
share information. We use microblogging as an umbrella term to include
status updates from social networks such as Facebook, and message-
exchange services such as Twitter. Recent research has shown that
people employ these services to share informal information they would
likely not otherwise publish through other mediums (i.e., email,
phone, IM, or weblogs). Microblogging has become quite popular
quickly, catching researchers’ interests as both a means of public,
social information exchange, and a medium for collaboration and
communication in the work context.

The goal of this workshop is to provide a forum for researchers and
practitioners from academia and industry to exchange insights into how
microblogs are used in enterprises, academic and social settings,
developing an agenda for what and how we can learn from and better
study this phenomenon.

CALL FOR POSITION PAPERS

** Submission deadline: January 6, 2010 **

Participants are asked to submit a 2-page position paper in ACM CHI
Format. We encourage submissions of microblogging research work in
both social context and work settings. Position papers should address
specific research questions of authors' work, methodological
approaches, contributions to the area, important conversations to have
for now, and short biographies for each author. At least one author of
each accepted paper needs to register for the workshop and for one or
more days of the conference itself.

Please email submissions to chi-2010-microblogging (at)
googlegroups.com using the subject "CHI 2010 Microblogging Workshop
Submission". Submissions are due at midnight PST Jan 6, 2010. We will
notify all participants of acceptance or rejection on January 30th,
2010.