[Air-L] Kerfuffle researching fanfic/fandom

Tuszynski, Stephanie STuszynski at bethanywv.edu
Fri Sep 4 06:40:25 PDT 2009

>> 2. This research wasn't even for a project at BU; it was for a privately
>> published book. (A book titled, incidentally, Rule 34: What Netporn Teaches
>> Us About The Brain. I am not making this up.)

>OK, the research methods suck, but I LOVE the book title!

>Robin

That's part of what worries me. Ogi Ogas has already been given an advance for this book. What kind of shoddy crap is he going to publish, using information provided by people unwittingly (or in some cases maliciously - people were intentionally giving bad answers after some of the fail became more obvious)? This guy was targeting a specific subgroup of fanfic writers looking for "deviant women" to use for his own purposes. And a titillating book title will encourage people to buy it, and I hate the thought of fandom being represented by this schmuck.

Also someone else on LJ did some digging and discovered his partner has linked to some seriously disturbing neocon and white supremacist writings: http://romaine24.livejournal.com/134010.html?format=light

Dr. Stephanie Tuszynski
Assistant Professor of Communication
Bethany College

This message may contain confidential information for the use of the addressee(s) above and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, immediately notify us by replying to the message and delete the original message immediately. Thank you.