[Air-L] A question for researchers interested in the basics of statistical inference

Ben Anderson benander at essex.ac.uk
Thu Sep 3 05:52:55 PDT 2009

Monica,

There are three issues here:

1. the representativeness of your sample with respect to your target
population (illicit drug users who
used internet message boards)

2. the analysis that you can do with your sample

and

3. What, given 1, you can say from the results of 2 about the target
population

1. is tricky - you don't have any data (or do you? Does anyone else?)
on the constitution of the target population. So you can't say how
biased your sample is. It may not be biased - you may have a
representative sample along key dimensions for your analysis. But how
do you tell? This is a problem for all surveys of 'sensitive' issues.
The usual resolution is to weight your sample so that on key
dimensions it is representative of the target population. But this can
only be done if you know the constitution of the target population
with respect to these dimensions....

2. the analysis. You can certainly do things like regression analysis
with your sample. The 'statistical significance' simply tells you how
confident you can be that any statistical effect is real (i.e. non
random) for the sample.

3. Your problem is that, given 1 you may not be able to make claims
from the results of 2 about the population - merely what you found in
your sample. If the sample is biased but you can weight it to account
for this bias (see 1) then your analysis results for the sample can be
claimed to be true of the target population.

Others may have different views :-)

Ben

On 3 Sep 2009, at 03:12, Monica Barratt wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I'm currently writing up my thesis which has the working title
> 'Researching
> the forums: Illicit drug use in a networked world'. I conducted an
> online
> survey using a purposive (nonprobability) sample of illicit drug
> users who
> used internet message boards (forums) to discuss or read about drugs.
> Originally I intended to conduct inferential statistics on this
> sample of
> 915, as this is the general practice in many other papers I had
> read. After
> some more thought though, I'm leaning away from that.

----
Dr Ben Anderson

Sociology @ Essex
http://www.essex.ac.uk/sociology/staff/profile.aspx?ID=118

Centre for Research on Economic Sociology and Innovation
http://cresi.wordpress.com