[Air-L] Measuring Interactivity

Vasiliki Vrana v_vrana at otenet.gr
Tue Sep 15 09:12:06 PDT 2009

Dear Katie,
there are many studies about measuring interactivity. For example:
McMillan, S. J. (1998). Who pays for content? Funding in interactive media,
Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 4(1);
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol4/issue1/mcmillan.html [Accessed the 15th of
January 2006, 11:32]
McMillan, S.J. (2000) Interactivity Is in the Eye of the Beholder: Function,
Perception, Involvement, and Attitude toward the Web Site. In Proceedings of
the 2000 Conference of the American Academy of Advertising, (M. A. Shaver
Ed.),  pp. 71-78, East Lansing, MI: Michigan State University
McMillan, S.J. (2002). Exploring Models of Interactivity from Multiple
Research Traditions: Users, Documents, and Systems. In Handbook of New Media
(L. Lievrouw and S. Livingston Eds.), pp. 162-182, London: Sage.
McMillan, S.J. and  Downes, E.J. (2000). Defining Interactivity: A
qualitative identification of Key Dimensions. New Media & Society,
2(2):157-179.
McMillan, S. J., and Hwang, J-S. (2002). Measures of Perceived
Interactivity: An Exploration of the Role of Direction of Communication,
User Control, and Time in Shaping Perceptions of Interactivity. Journal of
Advertising,  31(3):29-42.
Wu, G.(2000).The Role of Perceived Interactivity in Interactive Ad
Processing. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, The University of Texas at
Austin.
Wu, G. (2005). The Mediating Role of Perceived Interactivity in the Effect
of Actual Interactivity on Attitude toward the Website. Journal of
interactive advertising,  5(2); http://www.jiad.org/ vol5/ no2/wu/
Zafiropoulos, C. and Vrana, V. (2007). Differentiation Between Expected and
Perceived interactivity in hotel websites.15th European Conference on
Information Systems, St. Gallen, June 07-09.

I hope that they are a good starting point for you.
Vicky Vrana