[Air-L] social science research for the hi-tech sector

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 17 03:27:26 PDT 2009

You could look for gender studies in high tech and also the late Rob
Klings work. Many of the Internet studies I read include these studies
such as an anthropologist doing field work at a high tech firm.

The sociologist at a high tech firm would most likely be in marketing
but Marc Smith is a sociologist at Microsoft and is on this list. I
believe but he does not study the sociology of that firm as far as I
know. He more applies Microsoft tools/software to sociology.

Peter
On 17-Sep-09, at 6:05 AM, Nicholas John wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knows anything about social scientific
> research for the hi-tech sector? (That's "for", not "on".)
> Has anyone given thought to the question of how to make a convincing
> case to hi-tech companies for investing in sociological studies of
> their fields of operation?
> Or does anyone know how common the post of "in-house sociologist" is
> among hi-tech firms?

Peter Timusk,
B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa.
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.
kiitos paljon,  merci,  thank you and muchas gracias for reading.