[Air-L] CFP: Exploring Childhood Studies

Patrick Cox ptcox at camden.rutgers.edu
Thu Sep 10 12:09:03 PDT 2009

Exploring Childhood Studies, A Graduate Student Conference
Department of Childhood Studies
Rutgers University, Camden

The Department of Childhood Studies Graduate Student Organization at Rutgers
University, Camden, invites submissions for paper presentations for their first
formal graduate student conference to be held April 9, 2010 on the Camden, NJ
campus. Graduate students from all disciplines who are engaged in research
relating to children and childhood are encouraged to submit proposals.

The field of childhood studies engages in both theoretical and empirical study
of children and childhood within historical, contemporary, interdisciplinary,
multi-cultural, state, national, and global contexts. The interdisciplinary
nature of the field is one of its greatest strengths and the core of its
remarkable potential for scholarly advancement, but also leaves the field open
for exploration and interrogation, and its borders difficult, if not
impossible, to define.

The Exploring Childhood Studies conference proposes defining Childhood Studies
by "doing" childhood studies. We seek papers that investigate childhood as a
construct, children as a category, or the child as a real living human as their
central focus, providing critical thought and insight while locating them in
different contexts, fields, and ideologies.

We invite proposals from all disciplines, including education, literature,
economics, psychology, sociology, anthropology, law, political science,
history, criminology, philosophy, medicine, religion, film studies, and
cultural studies as well as multi-disciplinary scholarly work. The range of
possible topics includes: war, health, rights, gender, poverty, wealth, policy,
ethics, popular culture, globalization, school, family, home, sexuality,
community, social constructions, theorizations and representations of children
and childhood in all modes of fiction.

Submission: 250-word abstract plus cover letter with name, current level of
graduate study, affiliated university, and email address to m_modica at vfcc.edu .
Include the words "conference abstract" in subject line, and include name on
the cover letter only.

Deadline: October 31, 2009. Accepted presenters will receive notification by
January 10, 2010.

Contact Patrick Cox at ptcox at camden.rutgers.edu or Anandini Dar at
anandini at camden.rutgers.edu if you have questions about the conference, or
visit http://crab.rutgers.edu/~bowman/conference/
Visit the Department of Childhood Studies here:
http://childhood.camden.rutgers.edu/

Patrick Cox
PhD Student
Department of Childhood Studies, Rutgers University
http://childhood.camden.rutgers.edu/
Co-Chair, Exploring Childhood Studies Conference
http://crab.rutgers.edu/~bowman/conference/

"In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer."
--Albert Camus

"Don't let your studies interfere with your education."
--Colonel Henry Rutgers

"the jUdges of nOrmalitY are present everywhere."
--Foucault, of course