[Air-L] Essential Books

scott at scottmacleod.com scott at scottmacleod.com
Wed Sep 9 14:18:02 PDT 2009

Dear Nancy and AoIR,

This may be the most useful overview on the list:

Lister, Martin, Jon Dovey, Seth Giddings, Iain Grant, and Kieran Kelly.
2009. New Media: A Critical Introduction. New York, NY: Routledge.

These are important books, theoretically:

Castells, Manuel, Mireia Fernandez-Ardevol, Jack Linchuan Qiu, and Araba
Sey. 2006. Mobile Communication and Society: A Global Perspective.
Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press

Castells, Manuel. 2009. Communication Power. Oxford, England: Oxford
University Press.

And the Free and Open books on this http://Webnographers.org list are
excellent resourcs: http://www.webnographers.org/index.php?title=Books

They include, but there are probably others:

Kelty, Christopher M. 2008. Two Bits: The Cultural Significance of Free
Software. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.

Zittrain, Jonathan. 2008. The Future of the Internet - And How to Stop It.
New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.

Thomas, Douglas. 2002. Hacker Culture. Minnesota: University of Minnesota
Press.

Hauben, Michael and Ronda Hauben. 1997. Netizens: On the History and Impact
of Usenet and the Internet. Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Press.

Zurawski, Nils. 2000. Virtuelle Ethnizität: Studien zu Identität, Kultur und
Internet. Frankfurt/Main: Peter Lang Verlag.

von Hippel, Eric. 2005. Democratizing Innovation. Cambridge, MA: The MIT
Press.

von Hippel, Eric. 1988. The Sources of Innovation. Oxford, England: Oxford
University Press.

Lessig. Lawrence. 2008. Remix: Making Art and Commerce Thrive in the Hybrid
Economy. Penguin Press HC.

Raymond, Eric. S. 2000. The Cathedral & the Bazaar: Musings on Linux and
Open Source by an Accidental Revolutionary. (First presented at the Linux
Kongress in 1997). O'Reilly Media.

Ito, Mizuko, Sonja Baumer, Matteo Bittanti, danah boyd, Rachel Cody, Becky
Herr, Heather A. Horst, Patricia G. Lange, Dilan Mahendran, Katynka
Martinez, C.J. Pascoe, Dan Perkel, Laura Robinson, Christo Sims, and Lisa
Tripp. 2008. Hanging Out, Messing Around, Geeking Out: Living and Learning
with New Media. E-Book.

Ryan Jenny. 2008. The Virtual Campfire: An Ethnography of Online Social
Networking. E-Book.

Rheingold, Howard. 1993. The Virtual Community.

Kluver, Randolph, Nicholas W. Jankowski, Kirsten M. Foot, and Steven M.
Schneider (eds.). 2007. The Internet and National Elections: A Comparative
Study of Web Campaigning. London: Routledge.

China might also be interested in World University & School -
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com  - like Wikipedia with MIT Open Course
Ware. There's a lot of opportunity to create a great, open, free University
and School in China with this.

Best,
Scott

http://scottmacleod.com