[Air-L] Using brick-space measures- Online Education Beats the Classroom

mhward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Tue Sep 15 17:07:33 PDT 2009

On 15/09/09 10:52 AM, "Steve Eskow" <steveeskow at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Bricks and clicks are not "in opposition" to each other. They are, however,
> quite different instructional technologies, and in general the bricks have
> been the master technology that organizes instruction. The lecture hall and
> the classroom are not merely empty containers--they are, in Giddens'
> term,"constitutive"--they shape what goes on in within them. "We shape our
> buildings and then they shape us": the "lecture". the 50-minute-class, the
> very form of the "curriculum" are shaped by the spaces of the campus.

I don't think we're in disagreement here. What I'm saying is that the forms
of the shapes can be increased and made more flexible by providing online
material. We can increase the uses of the shapes that we have, and maybe add
new ones.

> It may turn out that adding clicks to bricks dilutes the instructional power o
> f both, while adding the cost of clicks to the cost of bricks.

The cost of bricks is already extremely high - at least where I work. But I
think that the addition of clicks to the bricks can mean that you get better
value from those bricks.

Mary-Helen