[Air-L] Family in the 21st century on TV

Dominik M. Rosenauer rosenauer at mac.com
Thu Sep 17 02:25:08 PDT 2009

in my childhood years tv started at 5pm (!) and ended at midnight with
the austrian anthem (late 70s). I was allowed to watch from 5-6:30
now there is a special program for mornings which is aimed at a broad
spectrum of viewers, than there is program for elderly, at midday
starts the program for kids and at noon the shows for youngsters,
teenagers and twens. we live in a country where national tv has two
channels. one for viewers 50+ and one for the advertiser-relevant
twens-40s. I think that it is a very true observation, that nowadays
shows are for different groups of viewers - which was not so when
shows were made for families (I dream of Jeannie, Falconcrest, Dallas
to name a few). I do think that the advertising industry plays a big
role in this change when cartoons are made for TV which are made for
different age groups and before and between them the ads are tailor-
made for the program. Also the decrease in the price of the tv-sets
played a role, because in the old days (60s, 70s) only a few families
over here could afford more than one tv-sets at home.

dominik m rosenauer

e	dmrosenauer at psycheonline.at
h	www.psycheonline.at
t	+43.1.9135584