[Air-L] Call for Papers - Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society

Bernie Hogan bernie.hogan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 08:23:25 PDT 2009

****  OBVIOUS APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING *****

We have extended our call for papers for the special issue of Bulletin
of Science, Technology and Society. Please note the new date for first
submission is November 1, 2009. Feel free to contact either myself or
Anabel with questions or requests for further information. Also, feel
free to distribute to other lists, or forward to the following link:
http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/hogan/2009/09/call-for-papers-extended-bsts/

Best, Anabel & Bernie

Anabel Quan-Haase -  aquan at uwo.ca
Bernie Hogan - bernie.hogan at oii.ox.ac.uk

REVISED CALL FOR PAPERS
Special Issue on “Persistence and Change in Social Media”
“You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always
flowing on to you.” Heraclitus.

Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society

ISSN: 0270-4676 eISSN: 1552-4183
http://bst.sagepub.com/

Submission deadline: November 1, 2009
Scheduled Publication date: May 2010

Guest editors:
Bernie Hogan, Oxford Internet Institute
Anabel Quan-Haase, University of Western Ontario

BSTS editor:
Willem H. Vanderburg, University of Toronto

TOPIC OUTLINE
We seek papers for a special issue of the Bulletin of Science,
Technology and Society on the twin topics of persistence and change in
social media. From ICQ to IM, Six-degrees to Friendster to MySpace to
Facebook to Twitter, change seems to be a recurrent theme in social
media. Not only are users willing to try out new tools, but they also
continue using existing media. In light of the seemingly endless
novelty in social media, how can researchers build a theory of social
media practice, rather than local theories on a per-site basis? Which
insights from one site can we apply to another? Which ones are due to
period and cohort effects and which ones relate to the structure of
social media generally?

For this issue we hope to publish papers that not only address a
specific social media phenomenon, but also do so with an eye to the
potential for constant change and the persistence in social media of
trends and communication patterns. We will gladly accept papers
studying a specific web site or online context, but we want to
encourage submitters to frame their analysis in terms of wider shifts
occurring theoretically, empirically or substantively.

Topics include but are not limited to:
- Comparative analyses of multiple social media
- Pan-site theories of interaction, self-presentation, privacy,
disclosure, boundaries, and media usage
- Change in user behaviors over time
- Global differences in social media use patterns
- Meta-analyses of articles on specific media sites or social
media-specific topics
- Shifting public concerns in the usage of social media
- Evolution of specific online memes, events or practices
- Evolving practices in privacy, communication, social networks, and
friendship formation
- Development and maintenance of community in social media

 Methodologies include but are not limited to:
- Multivariate statistical analysis
- Virtual Ethnography
- Social network analysis
- Scholarly meta-analysis
- Content analysis

Typical social media tools include but are not limited to:
- Interpersonal Tools (Instant Messaging and Voice-Call tools): ICQ,
Windows Live, Skype, AIM, etc.
- Business Tools (Knowledge Exchange and Collaborative): IBM Sametime,
Oracle Collaboration Suite, etc.
- Large-Scale Social Network Sites (Friendship and Community):
Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Friendster, Coach Potatoes, etc.

Paper length:
Papers should be between 5,000 and 7,500 words (excluding references,
tables, and figures).

Important dates:
Papers due: November 1, 2009
Comments to authors: December 15, 2009
Final papers due: February 1, 2009
Expected publication date: Summer 2010

Submission Guidelines:
Information about manuscript submission guidelines can be found online
http://www.sagepub.com/journalsProdManSub.nav?prodId=Journal200908.
Formatting follows APA style.

Please send questions and papers to Bernie Hogan
(bernie.hogan at oii.ox.ac.uk) or Anabel Quan-Haase (aquan at uwo.ca).