[Air-L] A question for researchers interested in the basics of statistical inference

Monica Barratt tronica at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 21:15:58 PDT 2009

Thanks again for all the comments. I have snatched a handful of time so will
have a go at continuing the discussion... These are my current thoughts and
reactions that I'm sharing with you. I would be most grateful for further
feedback and especially any references/texts to back up your ideas so I can
do some further reading to assist my understanding of these critical issues.

You mention the 3 issues: (1) how representative is my sample? (2) what
analysis can I do with my sample (3) can I say anything about the larger
population from my analyses

As to the representativeness, it's not possible to know how representative
my sample is of the target group: who are Australians who have recently used
'party drugs' (ecstasy, methamphetamine, etc) AND who use online forums /
internet message boards. This subgroup of the wider population who have
recently used party drugs is likely to differ on key characteristics, and I
can discuss those, but I can't know the biases of this sample in comparison
to the whole target group because they have never been systematically
studied.

As for the analysis, my concern is that - although many papers are published
in this field where analyses of association (eg. regression) or difference
(eg. ANOVA) are conducted on samples like mine (not randomly selected),
psych and stats textbooks stress the critical assumption of having a sample
frame if one wants to apply the logic of probability. As I understand it, a
simple test like a t-test is asking - e.g., is the difference between scores
for (say) males and females large enough that I can reject the null
hypothesis that males and females in the wider population do not differ on
this specific score, with 95% (or 99%) certainty (assuming the sample is
randomly selected from the wider population). If I am conducting an
exploratory study where little is known about the wider population and I
can't randomly sample from it, what use is this t-test? Surely I should just
give the two different scores for males and females. As an exploratory
study, this information is still useful, as it provides something to start
with for further research.

A reading I found incredibly useful was:
Berk, R. A., & Freedman, D. (2003). Statistical assumptions as empirical
commitments. In T. G. Blomberg & S. Cohen (Eds.), Law, punishment, and
social control: Essays in honor of Sheldon Messinger (2nd ed., pp. 235-254).
New York: Aldine.
(which is available through Google Books to read)

One relevant quote is:
"the moment that conventional statistical inferences are made from
convenience samples, substantive assumptions are made about how the social
world operates. Conventional statistical inferences (e.g., formulas for the
standard error of a mean, t-tests) depend on the assumption of random
sampling. This is not a matter of debate or opinion; it is a matter of
mathematical necessity. When applied to convenience samples, the random
sampling assumption is not a mere technicality or a minor revision on the
periphery; the assumption becomes an integral part of the theory"
... rest of article well worth the read!

Re confidence intervals. I've definitely read many times cautions about
applying confidence intervals to purposive/non-random samples. These margins
of error are based on specific statistical assumptions that don't appear to
hold true for non-systematic samples. So, yes, I agree we need to move away
from just looking at the p value to reporting confidence intervals and
effect sizes - but reporting these for convenience samples does not appear
to be sound.

An article I read that seeks to "compare the characteristics of a
self-selected, convenience sample of men who have sex with men (MSM)
recruited through the internet with MSM drawn from a national probability
survey in Great Britain" provides an example of this thinking. They
calculate confidence intervals for the probability sample but do not present
CIs for the convenience sample, stating "CIs for the internet percentages
were narrow, and are not presented here because they add little to the
interpretation of the data from this non-probability sample." I intend to do
a similar analysis to compare my sample with a probability sample of
Australian 'party drug' users.

Evans, A. R., Wiggins, R. D., Mercer, C. H., Bolding, G. J., & Elford, J.
(2007). Men who have sex with men in great britain: Comparison of a
self-selected internet sample with a national probability sample. Sexually
Transmitted Infections, 83(3), 200-205.

"Then you have to say... do i want to make inferences about my sample as
population, my sample as representative of a larger population, or my sample
as representative of the world.   each of those three questions will take
you toward slightly different answers."

This is helpful as a way of thinking about the issue for me. I have no
desire to make inferences about the world or the larger population from my
sample, which was always about recruiting a specific sub-population of drug
users that had not been studied before.

"However, if your sample was large enough.  you could treat it as a
population and subsample it to make inferences amongst its differences."

The sample is N=837 so it is "large enough" but I'm still stumped about what
meaning significance tests would have in this case. Rest assured, I have
conducted many statistical tests on the data to explore it, and most of them
are 'significant' associations or differences, but I'm stuck on how to
interpret them.

...continued part 2 (email was too long!)