[Air-L] Library of Congress Acquires Entire (Public) Twitter Archive

Jacob Kramer-Duffield jkd at email.unc.edu
Thu Apr 15 07:55:37 PDT 2010

Thinking about this less from a Web-privacy perspective and more from
the perspective of LoC-as-actor, this is their mission:

    The Library's mission is to make its resources available and useful
    to the Congress and the American people and to sustain and preserve
    a universal collection of knowledge and creativity for future
    generations.

 From that perspective, maintaining an archive of Twitter is pretty mundane.

Putting back on my own privacy hat, I think Michael has raised some very
legitimate concerns and what I hope (putting on LIS hat, here) this can
lead to is more forethought not just from users but especially designers
in terms of thinking about what their data and interactions will look
like not just in the moment but 6 mos., 3, 10 years down the road. The
fact that Twitter might not be able to do this themselves just
underlines this point.

jkd