[Air-L] Internet and Change - Book Announcement

John Postill jpostill at usa.net
Fri Apr 30 08:17:13 PDT 2010

_______
From: medianthro-bounces at lists.easaonline.org
[medianthro-bounces at lists.easaonline.org] On Behalf Of Jens Kjaerulff
[jk at socant.net]
Sent: 30 April 2010 16:03
To: medianthro at easaonline.org
Subject: [Medianthro] Internet and Change - Book Announcement

Dear Colleagues,

I apologise for the self-promotion. Seeing that the list is used for
book announcements by others, I take the liberty to bring my newly
released monograph to your attention:

Internet and Change: An Anthropology of Knowledge and Flexible Work
(Hojbjerg, Intervention Press, 2010)
ISBN: 978-87-89825-97-7; 199 pages

Details below, and at:
http://www.internetandchange.com/

How may internet use be related to social and cultural change? Debates
on this question have proliferated. Yet, conceptions of change in such
debates have remained conspicuously under-theorized. This book
approaches these issues through anthropological research among
'teleworkers', people working via internet from their homes in rural
Denmark. Through a rich ethnography of paid work as a cultural
practice, and drawing on social science studies of knowledge, it
develops a theory of cultural process and change, where particular
attention is devoted to the materiality of internet use, and to
situated experience, reflection, and agency. The study suggests that
telework is mostly practiced informally, and that this form of
flexible work is more prevalent than commonly assumed. Against
conventional assertions that flexible work promotes alienation, the
study argues for a more complex picture, where the cultural conception
of 'work' is incrementally changed through new practices of economic
engagement.

--
Dr. Jens Kjaerulff
Lecturer, Social Anthropology

EASA Media Anthropology Network
http://www.media-anthropology.net

For further information please contact:
Dr. John Postill
Sheffield Hallam University
jpostill at usa.net

To manage your subscription to this mailing list, visit: