[Air-L] creating a unique hashtag to track a specific event

Liz nwjerseyliz at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 18:20:21 PDT 2010

If your Tweets have been private until recently, they won't show up in Twitter Search. I'm not sure of the exact number of days but new accounts & newly opened accounts take a while before the Search tool recognizes them, I think it's at least 5-7 days. And none of your Tweets from when your account was private will ever appear in Search.

I would also test out other Twitter search tools that exist as a backup.

As far as hashtags, I work with them a lot and I just have a few recommendations:

1) Keep them short
2) Have everyone use the same one (problems with multiple hashtags occurred at SXSW this year)
3) Make sure the combination of letters/words will not be confused with other people's hashtags

One way you can see if a similar hashtag exists is to go to http://www.whatthetrend.com and submit your hashtag to the Trending Topic database. You will be able to see if it is a term that others have used.

Liz Pullen
nwjerseyliz at yahoo.com