[Air-L] To the other side of the digital divide - ipad anyone?

Mark Warschauer markw at uci.edu
Tue Apr 6 14:14:25 PDT 2010

I wrote some thoughts on it here:
http://papyrusnews.com/2010/02/03/thoughts-on-the-ipad/

That was before I tried it, but now that I've tried it my thoughts are
basically the same.  The summarized version is: (1) A turning point for
multi-touch, (2) A new entry point for children's computing, (3) Launching
of a new genre of media device, (4) A big step toward replacing print
textbooks, and (5) An eventual competitor as a laptop/desktop replacement

The only thing that I would add, after using it, is that its speed also is a
major breakthrough.  People have been talking a lot about the possibility of
ARM processors in netbooks (i.e., smartbooks), but, even with more powerful
Atom processors, netbooks are a bit sluggish. It's thus great to see Apple's
proof of concept that an ARM-based computing device can be so fast.

Mark Warschauer
Professor of Education and Informatics
University of California, Irvine
Education 3000C
Irvine, CA 92697-5500
tel: (949) 824-9103,  fax: (949) 824-2965
markw at uci.edu; http://www.gse.uci.edu/markw
twitter: http://twitter.com/markwarschauer