[Air-L] How best to teach hyperconnected students?

Murray Turoff murray.turoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 16:32:56 PDT 2010

Learning to play a violin or piano extremely well will not teach one how to
be a great and creative composer.
This emphasis on hyperconnection and use of web especially things like
gaming and an over emphasis on multitasking will not necessarily teach
people to be creative and imaginative thinkers.  Teaching how to think is
requires interaction and even disagreements with peers and those who know
more than the subject than the student.
Our many years of study of online learning.   Roxanne has a recent book on
the subject and papers on her website and i have a few on the basic
philosophy.
http://is.njit.edu/turoff http://is.njit.edu/hiltz   our early experiments
with online learning area also now on the njit library website
http://library.njit.edu/archives/cccc-materials/index.php  (virtual
classroom reports)

The general finding is that online learning can be better than face to face
when it emhasises collaborative learning among the students both as a total
class and as small teams that really collaborate on difficult topics.   Also
an instructor (that knows the subject matter better than any of the
students) that knows when to step in to correct something going wrong.  Even
in public schools trying to use education majors without a deep
understanding of the subject being taught is a farce.

With out that guidance what happens on the web is going to be versions of
"group think" and "group stupidity"

Also face to face can be improved when this type of collaboration is done in
an online mode.  When a knowledge structure is provided by the instructor
for the students to categorize their viewpoints and a large class is
involved there is a lot more chance of real knowledge emerging and being
understood by the whole group.  There is a much greater human pool from
which to draw out insights and consider them with out the well studied
dominance of fast talkers in small face to face groups.  I have related
examples in this paper.  It includes a summary result and reference to an
experimental thesis showing strong results on creativity for open ended
problems by student groups.  (thesis on the njit library website)

Turoff, Murray,  Starr Roxanne Hiltz, Xiang Yao, Zheng Li, Yuanqiong Wang,
and Hee-Kyung Cho, Online Collaborative Learning Enhancement Through the
Delphi Method, Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education-TOJDE April 2006
ISSN 1302-6488 Volume: 7 Number: 2 Article: 6, Publisher:  Anadolu
University, Eskisehir, Turkey, http://tojde.anadolu.edu.tr/index.htm