[Air-L] Plagiarism Lines Blur for Students in Digital Age

James Howison james at howison.name
Tue Aug 3 08:13:56 PDT 2010

My reaction is a little different.  I find that the focus on citation as a recognition of other's ownership and giving credit, while important, doesn't tell all the story.

For me, citation is also an acknowledgement that something has an author, which ought to kick in a critical appraisal of the author-text relationship.  Everything from bias to type of discourse (e.g. polemic and so on) to the author's credibility is opened up.

Seems to me that the second function of citation is what is being lost when one invokes "common knowledge" as reason not to cite.  And an overemphasis on "citation as a function of copyright" might be crowding out "citation as an acknowledgement of discourse".

Cheers,

James Howison
Post-doctoral Associate
CMU School of Computer Science