[Air-L] e: Fw: Re: Missing Data in Qualitative and Online Research

andrea baker bakera at ohiou.edu
Sun Aug 8 16:51:52 PDT 2010

Hi, William and others,

I'd like to first express my appreciation for the question of missing
data in qualitative and online research and for the excellent
thinking on this list.  I also offer a few thoughts on the matter.

May I first underscore the aforementioned basic tool of
triangulation, using other methods of inquiry to supplement whatever
ia your primary data collection technique?  I don't think this can be
overstated, that interviews can add to participant/observation, for
example, to give different perspectives.

Second, through what people say about each other, data is gained,
through the secondary source, even when a person or group may not
share that information directly.  This information gives a more
well-rounded picture than not having access to it at all.

Third, we may have to trade off completeness for an in-depth look at
some areas.  For example, the researcher may know of a splinter group
that exists behind the scenes and know from evidence that the
influence on the main online community is there.  However, without
direct access or people talking about it in depth, the researcher may
decide to mention it briefly, giving most attention to the main
community,

All this is predicated on working within what your IRB has approved, of course.
--
cheers,
andee