[Air-L] Examples of Successful Uses of Facebook in the Classroom?

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Fri Aug 13 07:34:07 PDT 2010

Alex:

The privacy modes work fine on FB but the key is how you set up the group from the beginning. I actually began using FB for my dissertation research around 2006 and I have been using it in the classroom for the past three years successfully.
I set up the groups as private or secret so that as the administrator I do not have to worry about those features. I think that Blackboard and most university CMS' are equally susceptible to mischief from campus or outside hackers, but you generally do not hear about it in the media. I know because I have a dual career as a media professional and a academic researcher/professional. If you do a quick Google search, you will note that several major universities had serious data breaches where personal identifying information was found by the hackers. I actually received two letters informing me at the time.

My major point with my research on edutainment and convergence is that education when done well is a learner-centered (McCombs, 2005)collaboration. Therefore, it is imperative that we utilize the tools that the students are already utilizing on a regular basis to get my message across. In truth, my students are my best advertisements because they often Like one of my FB fan pages or ask to friend me after coming to a class or virtually attending like many students did during the East Coast American blizzards of 2010. We actually had class online in real time and students actually loaded up photo essays, video essays and standard posts on FB. I find Blackboard to be too limiting on the students and my own creativity since I am highly tech savvy.

I think FB has a easy learning curve and the students like and I am getting the educational outcomes that I need in courses that usually have students from multi-disciplines. I have been able to teach them how to use FB, Twitter, YouTube, podcasts and blogging in every discipline to assist them with their other classes too. Since I teach communications, PR, video production, speech and education/higher education courses at multiple levels at more than one institution I have been able to use FB and other tools as a bridge to get the learners where they need to be.

In fact, the real tests in my courses are the last 4 classes where the students teach the content and I and their fellow students engage in peer evaluation and review (which FB and social media had already enabled us to do for the first 11 weeks). The students loved the "independence" and "innovation" but they love the collaboration. Twitter integration in the classroom was very exciting since we creating Twitter IDs to link course videos to test things in the real world. I had one student experience 10, 000 views with a how to video for example on soccer in preparation for the World Cup. I learned quite a lot, and he ended up creating a successful online series where he had to conduct real research of the rules, South African culture/history, geography and yes the science of soccer (football).

Chris A. Heidelberg, Ph.D.
Loyola University