[Air-L] Extended deadline 31 Aug 2010 for Game Studies Special Issue “Game Reward Systems”

Olli Sotamaa olli.sotamaa at uta.fi
Thu Aug 12 11:14:56 PDT 2010

Due to numerous requests we announce an extension for the call for
papers for the Game Studies special issue on Game Rewars Systems. We
need all submissions by the end of the month. No further extensions will
be possible.

New Deadline: 31 August 2010

Original call:

CFP: Game Studies Special Issues “Game Reward Systems”

Guest editors Mikael Jakobsson (mikael.jakobsson at mah.se) and Olli
Sotamaa (olli.sotamaa at uta.fi).

Digital games have a long history of rewarding players for their
efforts. It can be in the form of treasures, items, easter eggs,
highscores, character outfits, achievements, or badges. The prolific use
of rewards indicates that they play an important part in shaping the
gaming experience. On one hand, it seems obvious that we enjoy being
rewarded, but on the other hand, it is harder to understand the
fascination with these seemingly empty gestures, given their virtual
nature.

This special issue of Game Studies is dedicated to the exploration of
all aspects of game rewards and game reward systems. We invite our
potential authors to think about the topic in relation to game culture
as well as game design, but also hope to attract papers exploring
connections to other areas of research such as psychology, sociology,
economy, education, and law. Possible topics include, but are not
limited to:
- Means for approaching and understanding game reward systems
- Reward typologies: characteristics and qualities
- The role of reward systems in relation to other game mechanics
- Player motivations in relation to game achievements
- History of reward systems within game culture and beyond
- Reward systems in social media applications
- Understanding rewards as motivators

The call is for full papers in English. All submissions will undergo a
double blind peer review process and be reviewed by at least two
reviewers. Papers should be submitted to submit at gamestudies.com. Please
see the Game Studies submission guidelines for further details:
http://gamestudies.org/1001/submission_guidelines

Timeline
Publication: November - December 2010

About Game Studies
Our Mission - To explore the rich cultural genre of games; to give
scholars a peer-reviewed forum for their ideas and theories; to provide
an academic channel for the ongoing discussions on games and gaming.
Game Studies is a crossdisciplinary journal dedicated to games research,
web-published several times a year at www.gamestudies.org.

Our primary focus is aesthetic, cultural and communicative aspects of
computer games, but any previously unpublished article focused on games
and gaming is welcome. Proposed articles should be jargon-free, and
should attempt to shed new light on games, rather than simply use games
as metaphor or illustration of some other theory or phenomenon.

Please help us spread the call to anyone you think might be interested.
It is also available on the web at:
http://gamestudies.org/1001/articles/cfp_game_reward_systems

// Olli

Olli Sotamaa // Senior Research Fellow