[Air-L] Open/user innovation for eco-friendly (product) development – cases or studies?

Joey Naumann naums at gmx.net
Fri Aug 20 00:42:30 PDT 2010

Dear Air-L'ers,

I am curious about ‘green’ innovations emerging or improving through online communications. Has anyone of you recently come across studies or cases on the impact of

- online community interaction
- online user-producer interaction

on the development of greener / eco-friendlier / sustainable products; the improvement of sustainability in the production or utilization of products; or the development of innovative "green" processes or materials?

Due to my interest in both research lines, the impacts of virtualization on innovation processes as well as sustainability of products and production processes, I am wondering whether there is certain potential of online-interaction for sustainability focused developments / innovations. I am currently looking for (more or less) successful examples. So far I mainly found firm-initiated idea contests or the like, but could not find much about reciprocal interaction between users or between users and producers.

If any of you have seen any cases, articles or papers, I would be delighted to hear from you. I would also appreciate your general thoughts on the topic.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Best regards from Bonn,

Joey Naumann
Socio-Economics of Space
Department of Geography
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
naumann at geographie.uni-bonn.de
+49-172-4025285