[Air-L] New book announcement (Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL)

Derek Hansen shakmatt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 14:14:53 PDT 2010

AIR-L’ers

I’ve mostly been a lurker on the list since my time as a doc student
several years ago. I’m pleased to share something that I think will be
beneficial to the AIR-L community. It’s a new book titled “Analyzing
Social Media Networks with NodeXL” that will be available early
September from Elsevier/MorganKaufmann Publishers:

     http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/723354/description

The book is a nice introduction to social network analysis (SNA) and
its application to social media (e.g., Twitter, YouTube, Facebook,
email, forums, wikis). It describes basic network concepts as well as
how to apply them using an Excel plugin called NodeXL:
http://nodexl.codeplex.com. Myself (shakmatt at gmail.com), Ben
Shneiderman (ben at cs.umd.edu), and Marc Smith
(marc at connectedaction.net) are the primary authors, but there are
excellent contributed chapters from other AIR-L researchers (see link
above for the full list).

I’ve been teaching with draft versions of the book to non-technical
students at Maryland’s iSchool in my online communities class for a
few semesters now and have received very positive feedback from
students who were new to SNA. Others have been using the draft version
of the book to teach courses in business schools, computer science,
and sociology classes to students at the graduate and undergraduate
level. If you want to look at an e-copy of the book to determine its
usefulness for a course, please send an email to our editor, Rachel
Roumeliotis (R.Roumeliotis at elsevier.com).

Regards,
Derek Hansen
Assistant Professor