[Air-L] Call for papers: Space, Time and Technology in the Network Society

Anstead Nicholas Dr (PSI) N.Anstead at uea.ac.uk
Wed Aug 18 02:29:36 PDT 2010

Dear all (with apologies for cross-posting),

We are currently putting together a panel proposal for the ECPR General Conference at the University of Iceland, Reykjavik, between the 25-27 August 2011. In particular, we interested in discussing the way in which new communication technology alters our relationship with time and space, and how these shifting circumstances impact on a diverse range of political issues and questions.

The full call for papers:

Theorists of the network society have drawn attention to the relationship between space and time.  While we commonly think of time as objectively measured by clocks and space objectively measured by its geographic extension, both dimensions also have constructed identities.  Communications technologies have played an important role in this process.  From the Pony Express, to the telegraph, to digital media today, the time required to transmit communications across vast distances is asymptotically approaching zero.  The contraction of time and space enables new configurations of political organization enabling the emergence of "glocal" networks blurring geographic boundaries and hierarchies, reconfigurations between local, regional and national levels of campaigning, and a faster pace of politics with a twenty-four news cylcle and an instantaneous temporal rhythm.  While these themes have received a great deal of attention by theorists, the spatial-temporal dimensions of politics in network society has received little empirical elaboration.  This panel invites presentations crossing diverse fields within politics grappling with impact of digital media on the political construction of space and time.

Please send 200 word abstracts to nick.anstead at gmail.com<mailto:nick.anstead at gmail.com> and mjensen94 at gmail.com<mailto:mjensen94 at gmail.com> by August 30th. Also, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Best wishes, Mike and Nick

---
Nick Anstead

Lecturer in Politics,
School of Political, Social and International Studies,
University of East Anglia

[room] Arts 3.59
[email] n.anstead at uea.ac.uk
[phone] 01603 59 2888
[mobile] 07788 413 443
[blog] www.nickanstead.com/blog
[twitter] www.twitter.com/NickAnstead

Office hours (exam period '10): Monday, 13:00-14:00 & Tuesday 12:00-13:00