[Air-L] Plagiarism Lines Blur for Students in Digital Age

Matthew Bernius mbernius at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 20:18:03 PDT 2010

At both RIT and Cornell, the issue of sourcing and plagerism have always
been presented near the front of Syllabi. And when I've taught writing to
freshmen, it's been an issue discussed within the first few classes.
Anecdotally, in my experience, and those of my colleagues, the students that
have had the most problem with this have traditionally been foreign students
(who had poor composition skills to begin with).

So yes, I had the exact same reaction as to most of those accounts. Still
the idea of Wikipedia as common knowledge just interested me and I was
wondering how it struck others on the list.

Matthew Bernius
PhD Student | Cultural Anthropology | Cornell University |
http://www.arts.cornell.edu/anthro/
Researcher At Large | Open Publishing Lab @ the Rochester Institute of
Technology | http://opl.cias.rit.edu | @ritopl
mBernius at gMail.com | http://www.waking-dream.com | @mattBernius