[Air-L] Missing Data in Qualitative and Online Research

Pam Brewer brewerpe at appstate.edu
Wed Aug 11 10:19:34 PDT 2010

Hi all--

I, too, have found this thread very useful and just want to add a short
comment to Sharon's post as it applies to qualitative internet research.

She writes:

Qualitative research doesn't aim to capture the whole picture or reach
generalized conclusions but rather try to focus on one phenomenon/ one
aspect etc. and trough this magnifying glass better comprehend the meaning
of things.

While qualitative research doesn't aim to generalize conclusions to
populations, it does aim to generalize conclusions to theory. Then such
theories can be pursued further qualitatively or quantitatively.

Best,
Pam

Pamela Estes Brewer
Assistant Professor
Manager, STC Academic Special Interest Group
Department of English
Appalachian State University
phone 828-262-2351
fax  828-262-2133