[Air-L] Theories in your social media research

Burns, Kelli kburns at usf.edu
Thu Aug 26 08:55:53 PDT 2010

I would like to place my research within a theoretical framework and move it away from mere descriptions of social media practice. I've been looking at a variety of topics within the realm of PR/Ad industry use of social media (brands that use Facebook, reactions to FTC endorsement guidelines by bloggers, crises in the blogosphere) as well as the intersection of social media and popular culture. I am looking for your suggestions of articles that apply theory to the understanding of social media. Any citations you can send would be much appreciated, even if you feel it's not directly relevant to my area of social media research.

Thanks so much!

Kelli Burns, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
University of South Florida