[Air-L] privacy redefined

Seda Guerses sguerses at esat.kuleuven.be
Mon Aug 30 15:34:53 PDT 2010

The problem with fb-places seems to be a re-iteration of similar
problems in the past (athough, I completely agree that location data
is something else). for example tagged or commented photos, status
updates with references, even wall-discussions are all information
that through the fb design becomes information that can be controlled,
managed, distributed by many profiles. We tried to generalize the
problem, calling such information "relational information" since it is
information related to many through the design of the system. We then
used Thomas Erickson and Wendy Kellog's idea of social translucence:
we asked how friends/communities could develop privacy practices based
on social proxies in the design that provide some transparency as to
what is happening in the network (without having to do what michael
zimmer did when he checked what was visible of his profile through
extra-mock profiles).

unfortunately, the privacy settings of fb make users believe that they
control their information individually. however, the design of fb is
such that most info is entered, linked, controlled and distributed by
many. this is a mismatch that one can only suspect might have been
convenient for fb in the past, but hopefully not for too much longer.

more information on the paper is here:
The Social Web and Privacy: Practices, Reciprocity and Conflict
Detection in Social Networks.
http://www.cosic.esat.kuleuven.be/publications/article-1304.pdf

and the wonderful article on social translucence is this one:
Thomas Erickson and Wendy A. Kellogg. Social translucence: An approach
to designing
systems that support social processes. ACM Transactions on Human
Computer
Interaction, 7(1):59–83, 2000.