[Air-L] mobile media studies

Gerard Goggin g.goggin at unsw.edu.au
Thu Aug 5 23:55:11 PDT 2010

Hi Greg, and all,

Just to add some thoughts on this thread, there are some pioneering works on mobile multimedia, such as:

 *   Larissa Hjorth, Mobile Media in the Asia-Pacific (Routledge, 2009).
 *   Ilpo Koskinen, Mobile Multimedia in Action (Transaction, 2007).

Also quite a number of useful collections such as:

 *   Jim Katz's Handbook of Mobile Communications Studies (MIT, 2008
 *   Stephanie Donald, Theresa Anderson, and Damian Spry, ed. Youth, society and mobile media in Asia (Routledge, 2010)
 *   my and Larissa Hjorth's Mobile Technologies: From Telecommunications to Media (Routledge, 2009).

However, while there is a quite a literature on topics such as mobile television, and smartphones, as yet I'm not aware of much work that specifically addresses the iPhone, iPad etc.

Rich Ling wrote one of the early papers on the takeup of the iPhone (given at the pre-ICA mobiles conference last year) -- 'The iPhone and mobile access to the Internet'.

I  have a book coming out next month (Sept) entitled 'Global Mobile Media' (Routledge) -- and it has a chapter on the politics of the iPhone, and a follow-up chapter about  the prospects for networked mobile cultures: http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415469180/

And there is at least one collection on the iPhone in the offing: Pelle Snickars and Patrick Vonderau's Moving Data: The iPhone and My Media (Columbia UP, 2011).

So I'll be very interested to hear about other studies or research underway.

I'd suggest that what going on with the iPhone is a very interesting development that forms part of the very interesting, fast-growing but quite diverse and specific emergence of mobile Internet, intersecting with the continued growth of mobile multimedia.

cheers,

Gerard Goggin