[Air-L] EVEOnline Monthly Payments Now Tradable, Sellable, Destroyable

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Tue Aug 10 07:01:10 PDT 2010

CCP's introduction of PLEX confuses me. They have been assiduous in keeping EvE a closed economy, then there's PLEX.

PLEX (Concord Pilot License Extensions) has a thin veneer of in-game meaning but as we know is an in-game token of value, that value being the cost of given period of game time. Of course all MMO currency in some way represents value that can be expressed in terms of time, just like all currency can be. However it seems to me that the direct relationship between PLEX and game time makes it categorically different.

By that I mean, if I get PLEX then I assume a tax event has happened as PLEX is a benefit in kind (just like a company car would be under UK tax law), similarly the loss of the ship noted below I assume might be seen as a tax write off. Thought, and possibly more worrying, is whether someone might argue that there is enough randomness at the heart of EvE's economy for it not to count as a game of skill hence it would fall under Gambling law (in particularly I'm thinking of US inter-state laws and internet gambling cases).

With the potential of Facebook currency and Googles recent acquisition and the UK Government's white paper on consumer protection (that includes Digital Goods)  I can see those of us with papers on virtual currencies will have to dust them off.

ren