[Air-L] Examples of Successful Uses of Facebook in the Classroom?

Andrew Long andrew.long at otago.ac.nz
Sun Aug 15 14:58:17 PDT 2010

A little more on Facebook and teaching ...

There is no denying that Blackboard and its ilk offer no useful tools for interacting
with students. Furthermore, they seem to work pretty hard to produce software
to make what they offer (as cumbersome and unhelpful as they are) worse with
each iteration.

Sadly, our institution is stuck with Blackboard for the foreseeable future. Students have
an expectation that all courses will appear here, which is not unreasonable from their
(students')  perspective. Consequently, I now typically add link(s) to the actual online
services we use to run courses that encourage discussion, collaborative work, sharing,
etc. such as locally hosted Wikis.

With regards to Facebook, I think it can depend on what type of course you are teaching
and how open you want the interactions to be.

For example, I teach an online communities and social media course so using and
evaluating a range of online services is pretty important. Requiring that students access
these tools in this context makes sense and has been pointed out in earlier responses -
these situations provide ample opportunity to examine TOS issues, privacy, etc. (with the
added benefit that students are likely to be there already). For other courses that do not
directly examine these tools, then I usually suggest Facebook (or others) as optional places
to discuss course stuff (or indeed anything else community related).

I tend to favour open conversation so in this regard, Facebook fan pages are good.
They are easy to setup and administer, they are open, relatively optimised for interaction
(the new questions feature could be handy), flexible (in as far as Facebook is flexible)
can link with Twitter to document fanpage activities (some students prefer Twitter),
students can drive interactions, and they are entirely separate from the whole "friendship"
(social networking) mechanism in Facebook.

Having said that, I do recognise that there are implications for students' actual
accounts (undesirable friendship requests, classmate stalking, activity tracking, etc.)

Has anyone had negative experiences using fanpages or groups on Facebook?

 http://andrew-long.name | Department of Information Science | School of Business
 University of Otago   |   NZ |  +64 3 479 8319   |  mailto:andrew.long at otago.ac.nz