[Air-L] Question about reimbursing participants doing electronic surveys?

Nicole Ellison nellison at msu.edu
Tue Aug 17 17:02:06 PDT 2010

Hi,
 I'm curious about the practice of only compensating participants who complete a survey. Don't most IRBs require that participants have the option of refusing to answer any questions they want, without jeopardizing their compensation? I think if you do this, you should be sure that no questions are mandatory (meaning the participant can't move forward unless something is in the field).
We typically include a question towards the end of the survey, asking participants for their email address if they'd like to be entered in a raffle, but with a note saying their address won't be paired with their data.
And seconding Fred's note about Amazon gift certificates (which can be emailed) as being much easier than other options such as itunes.