[Air-L] Extended Call for Papers

Andrew Miller clickonknowledge at hum.ku.dk
Fri Dec 3 02:12:20 PST 2010

Dear Members,

The Click on Knowledge Conference due to be held May 11th to 13th at Copenhagen University is pleased to relate that it has extended the due date for its call for papers. Please find the new call for papers below:

Call for papers

Keynote speakers
•Professor Susan Schreibman, Director of the Digital Humanities Observatory (DHO), the Royal Irish, Academy, Dublin.
•Professor Michael S. Hart, founder of Project Gutenberg.
•IT-journalist Mark Malseed, author of The Google Story.
•Dr. Linda Bree, Commissioning Editor, Cambridge University Press.
•Professor Peter Naur, Computer Scientist and winner of the Turing Prize.
The Conference
The conference is a three-day event, comprising the presentation of papers, keynote speeches and panel discussions.

The conference will discuss a broad range of issues all concerning the interactions between research and study in the humanities and so-called web-based knowledge. We are seeking speakers who are interested in the production of knowledge and how this production has been affected by the development of the internet. Specifically, the areas we wish to explore involve e-text copyrights, new web-based learning techniques and pod-casting. In examining these subjects, however, our focus is not solely on what is new in the sense of technological developments, but how the new renovates the old. Therefore, another focus of the conference is on the history of knowledge as an idea that can be disseminated by way of such early media as the book, the class room and the library.

We encourage anyone who is interested in this conference to submit a proposal for a paper or a panel. Participants can be from the ‘traditional' humanities, those with ‘hands-on' experiences of digitization of text or images, people involved in the maintenance of databases, IT studies experts, or private software developers.

The conference language is English.
The conference committee welcomes contributions on the following example topics:
1.Hands-on digitization of ancient manuscripts and other similar documents.

2.Web-based based edited works (e.g. Shakespeare, Goethe, Balzac or national treasures of smaller language areas).

3.The legal aspects of producing and consuming web-based texts and images.

4.The history of knowledge as it has transitioned from what we might term ‘book-based' platforms to web-based platforms.

5.Innovations in web-design and the establishment of databases.

6.The study of the humanities in the age of Google: how have the cultural aspects of the university changed and how have these changes transformed the older notions of studying the humanities.

7.The immateriality of the text: how has the transition to web-based reading altered our understanding of book history and interpretation of text and tradition?
Traditional and Digital Format
In the spirit of the conference's aim, we seek to combine the traditional elements of an academic conference and those elements of video conference and ‘streaming'. This allows participants to choose between whether they wish to physically attend the conference at the University of Copenhagen or merely wish to attend online. Should a participant opts to participant online, as the support structures for the conference develop over the next couple of months, materials will be available on line so that this participant can attend over the net. It is our hope that this will enable participants from developing countries, as well as milieus in which travel budgets may be low, to enhance our discussion with their insights.

Paper Submission
Authors are invited to submit abstracts of approx. 300-500 words of their suggested papers. The abstract must give a clear indication of the contents and key points of the coming paper.
All submissions will be handled electronically.

Panel Submission
We also invite suggestion for panels that examine innovative, controversial, or otherwise interesting issues.

Proposal Submission Form
Please fill in the proposal submission form for suggestions to paper or panel submissions.

Process of Selection
The programme committee will evaluate papers and panels based on quality and relevance. All submissions are held in confidentiality prior to publication in the proceedings.
Submissions received after the deadline will not be considered unless an extension has been granted by the committee chairs.

Accepted papers will be presented by their author(s) and will be published in the conference proceedings. The papers will be published in book form.

Deadline: January 15th, 2011.

Questions
If you have questions about the submission process, don't hesitate to send them to clickonknowledge at hum.ku.dk<mailto:clickonknowledge at hum.ku.dk>, thus reaching the programme committee chairs:
Programme Committee Chairs
•Assistant Professor, Robert Jensen-Rix, University of Aalborg.
•Dr. Andrew Miller, University of Copenhagen.
•Professor Charles Lock, University of Copenhagen.
•Dr. Simon Frost, University of Southern Denmark.
•Petra Söderlund, Swedish Society for Belles Lettres, c/o Svenska Akademiens Nobelbibliotek, Stockholm.
•IT-Consultant to the committee, Uwe Wollin, Head of IT Media Studies, University of Copenhagen.