[Air-L] Online role-playing community study

Vili Lehdonvirta vili.lehdonvirta at hiit.fi
Tue Dec 7 19:10:26 PST 2010

Dear Fabien,

Welcome to study online games. My suggestion would be to re-think your
approach, as it seems to rest on a dichotomous "real world" vs.
"virtual world" notion, which in my opinion is fundamentally flawed (http://gamestudies.org/1001/articles/lehdonvirta
).

You state that your goal is "to see if there is a difference between
the real world and the virtual environment". But what is the "real
world" against which you are comparing? The parliamentary politics of
France, the politics of the world of finance, or the politics of game
research are all different, yet all part of the "real world". It is
obvious from the start that you will find the politics of a given
online game to differ from your chosen point of comparison in some
respects, and resemble it in others. Unless this online game is an
important research subject in itself (e.g. because it engages so many
people), such findings may not be very useful.

My advice would be to look instead for a theoretical research question
from the literature of your discipline, and then see if this
theoretical question can be addressed with a study pertaining to the
online game. Write your research question clearly. Good luck!

Vili Lehdonvirta
University of Tokyo / HIIT
http://www.hiit.fi/~vlehdonv/

p.s. please do not worry about your English.