[Air-L] Social media for elderly people

natalya godbold ngodbold at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 16:18:27 PST 2010

Perhaps this research centre and these papers may be of interest.

research centre:
http://infotech.monash.edu.au/research/groups/itnr/publications/categories/older-bb.html

papers:
Williamson, K. (1998) Discovered by chance:  The role of incidental
information acquisition in an ecological model of informatin use. Library
and Information Science Research, Vol. 20, No.1, pp. 23-40.

Williamson, K. & Asla, T. (2009) Information behavior of people in the
fourth age: Implications for the conceptualization of information literacy.
Library and Information Science Research, Vol. 31, No.2, pp. 76-83.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Di Shaw <di.shaw at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I would like to introduce myself to this very supportive and knowledgeable
> community. My name is Diane Shaw (not sure what will show up when I hit the
> send
> button!), and I am doing a PhD at the University of Adelaide
> (Anthropology). I
> have recently completed 14 months of ethnographic fieldwork studying the
> online/offline social interactions of older people. My primary focus has
> been on
> Australians between the ages of 65 and 85 who are on a social networking
> site
> for older people (40 plus). Working closely with older people online and
> offline
> has been incredibly rewarding, and has produced some startling and exciting
> results. Significantly, being online and socially connected to others is an
> incredibly meaningful part of my participants’ everyday lives.
>
> A recent post from Kelly asking for references on social media and the
> “elderly”
> has prompted me to contribute to the list. I also had difficultly finding
> quality articles on older people using the Internet to connect socially.
> (As an
> aside, it is interesting to note that even the more senior of my
> participants
> (85 year olds) as well as the broader community in my study, do not
> consider
> themselves “elderly”, preferring the title of senior.) Listed, below, are
> some
> references that may be useful.
>
> Dell, P. (2008) Acting your age: a study of the relationship between online
> social interaction and identity in older adults. PhD thesis. Murdoch
> University
> Perth.
>
> Furlong, M. (1989) An electronic community for older adults: the seniorNet
> network. Journal of Communication, 39:145-53.
>
> Kanayama, T. (2003) Ethnographic research on the experience of Japanese
> elderly
> people online. New Media Society, 5:267-288.
>
> Malta, S. (2007). Love Actually! Older adults and their romantic Internet
> relationships. Australian Journal of Emerging Technologies and Society,
> 5(2):84-102.
>
> Mellor, D., Firth, L., and Moore, K. (2008). Can the Internet improve the
> well-being of the elderly. Aging International, 32:25-42.
>
> Stalp, M., Williams, R., Lynch, A. and Radina M. (2009). Conspicuously
> consuming: the Red Hat Society and midlife women’s identity. Journal of
> Contemporary Ethnography, 38(2):225-253.
>
> Torres, S. (2006). Different ways of understanding the construct of
> successful
> aging: Iranian immigrants speak about what aging well means to them.
> Journal
> Cross Cultural Gerontology, 21:1-23.
>
> Xie, B. (2003). Older adults, computers, and the Internet: future
> directions,
> [...]

Natalya Godbold
PhD Candidate (Human Information Behaviour / Health Communication)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney

¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.
.><((((º>`~.¸¸.~´¯`~.¸.~´¯`~...¸><((((º> .,,.~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with
authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Think. Green. Do.