[Air-L] The Critical Themes in Media Studies Conference

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 14:24:22 PST 2010

Apologies for cross posting.

The graduate students of the Department of Media Studies and Film at
The New School are pleased to announce a call for papers and projects
to the 11th annual Critical Themes in Media Studies Conference, taking
place April 15-16, 2011 in New York City.

Founded in 1919, the New School was conceived to promote innovative
and progressive education. The Media Studies Department, founded in
1975 as the first in the country, was designed from its inception to
be a home for both theory and practice-based scholarship.
In the spirit of these traditions, this year we would like to
encourage the submission of traditional scholarly papers as well as
multi-modal research projects. We ask all applicants to be prepared to
present their work in a traditional academic format, but individual
panels may also be arranged to encompass projects in a variety of
configurations. Critical Themes in Media Studies is not organized
around a single theme. Instead, we welcome work from across a wide
range of topics related to media theory. Panels will be formed around
common areas of interest that emerge from the works received.
Presenters are invited to submit project proposals that include but
are not limited to: papers, interactive installations, maps, walking
tours, performances, and so on. We will send notification in advance
to all presenters for whom we are able to accommodate any non-
traditional formats and provide technical services.

ABSTRACT DEADLNE: January 15, 2011 NOTIFICATIONS: February 15, 2011
FINAL PAPER DEADLINE: March 15, 2011
SUBMISSIONS: Send abstracts (250 words or less) to criticalthemes at gmail.com
  For general inquiries or further information, please contact:

criticalthemes at gmail.com
For more information about past Critical Themes conferences, please
visit:
http://criticalthemes.net

The Critical Themes in Media Studies Conference is brought to you by
the New School Department of Media Studies and Film, the Parsons
Department of Art, Media & Technology, and Office of the Executive
Dean, New School For General Studies-Milano