[Air-L] IR 12.0 - panel suggestion "Web 2.0: participation or conscription?"

Matthew Allen M.Allen at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Wed Dec 15 20:28:58 PST 2010

Dear all

Kate Raynes-Goldie and I are organising a Web 2.0-related panel for the 2011 AoIR conference (IR 12.0) and would welcome your contributions.

With the working title "web 2.0: participation or conscription" we would look to assemble a panel of 4-5 papers that critically examine the history, present reality, and future possibilities of 'Web 2.0' with a specific focus on the degree to which the so-called democratic practices 'authorised' by Web 2.0 may be understood as either participation or conscription or a combination of both. We ask: what freedoms might be gained, AND lost, within the surfeit of web 2.0 services and applications?

The final shape of the panel and its theme(s) will, however, depend on the papers that you wish to present. Please contact me to suggest a paper to be part of this panel. (Disclaimer: the very nature of Web 2.0  -  is it dead? What does it mean? - might also serve as a useful focus).

Best wishes
Matt

Professor Matthew Allen
Head, Department of Internet Studies
School of Media, Culture and Creative Arts
Curtin University of Technology
CRICOS provider code: 00301J (WA); 02637B (NSW)
+61892663511 http://netstudies.curtin.edu.au and http://netcrit.net
2008 ALTC Teaching Fellow
Life Member, Association of Internet Researchers