[Air-L] The state of Internet Law

Thomas Jones thomasallenjones at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 21:41:48 PST 2010

 Internet Law seems to be categorically under the LST umbrella at the Universities most popularly known for teaching it:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/degrees/jd/pos/lawscitech/index.html
http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/centers/

Other schools teach this through an Intellectual Property track, Privacy track, and Ive even seen similar structured programs taught in Public Interest programs. Youll also see more "Institute of ..." than actual law tracks. Its a start I think, or at least an acknowledgement of its validity. My concern is the rate of adoption especially given how rapid the digital domain grows.

I think that the holistic nature of the Internet encompassing parts of so many areas makes it more of a generality, and likely more properly, or correctly categorized under said umbrella.

I would not dismiss the feasibility that, as noted in an earlier email, Internet Law is in itself an entirety of law practiced today in a different domain. If we think about it nearly every aspect of "face-to-face" law applies within the "cyber" domain, but interpreted in accordance with its appropriate context.

I think this perspective is intellectually curious, and I would love to read more about how traditional law has, and has not applied, different or otherwise, to the digital domain.

FYI - I try not to use "cyber" too often - its a term that is often used when sensationalizing or fear mongering (ie cyberwar).

--
Thomas Jones
http://www.TheOtherTomJones.com

One should guard against preaching to young people success in the customary form as the main aim in life. The most important motive for work in school and in life is pleasure in work, pleasure in its result, and the knowledge of the value of the result to the community.
-- Albert Einstein, On Education --

Sent with Sparrow