[Air-L] Fwd: social media for elderly people

Quinn, Kelly kquinn8 at uic.edu
Thu Dec 2 12:26:21 PST 2010

Greetings,

Unfortunately, I have have come across very little literature on older
adults and social media specifically, but here are a few resources that I
have found to be useful:

Lenhart, A. (2009). Adults and social network websites. Washington, DC:
Pew Internet and American Life Project. Available at
http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2009/Adults-and-Social-Network-Websites.aspx.

Ofcom. (2008). Social Networking: A quantitative and qualitative research
report into attitudes, behaviours and use. Available at
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/media-literacy/medlitpub/medlitpubrss/socialnetworking/

Pfeil, U., Arjan, R., and Zaphiris, P. (2009). Age differences in online
social networking - A study of user profiles and the social capital divide
among teenagers and older users in MySpace. Computers in Human Behavior,
25, 643-654.

Wilson, M. & Nicholas, C. (2008). Topological Analysis of an Online Social
Network for Older Adults. Proceedings of SSM '08, Napa Valley, CA. New
York: ACM.

I would be very interested in hearing of other literature related to this
topic!

Kindest regards,
Kelly

--