[Air-L] SIPRNet

Thomas Jones thomasallenjones at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 18:30:28 PST 2010

SIPRnet is a beast in itself, And stemmed from the DMS (defense messaging system). To answer your question I would pursue looking into the evolution of DMS itself. I was a SIPR admin once upon a time, FYI.

I cannot comment on the intricate details of SIPR today because I'd like to keep my security clearance, but it used to be a wholly separate network infrastructure, and the specifications of said network were outlined in EMSEC policies, etc.

It is integrated over a single fabric now thanks to physical cryptographic devices capable of routing and switching, but that's about all that can be said other than what's in the wikipedia article, which I think is fairly accurate.

HTH,

-Thomas

Please excuse my spelling, this message was sent through a series of tubes... from my iPhone.