[Air-L] user generated content, motivation to post

Morgan Leigh morgan at wirejunkie.com
Wed Feb 3 19:38:37 PST 2010

Hi all,
I have also recently been looking at user created content, more from a
technical point of view of what is possible, what has been done and DRM
implications. Here are a bunch of references relating to these issues.

I'd be most obliged for any references people might have for works about
the technical aspects of creating content.

Lakhani, K. and von Hippel, E. (2003). How open source software works:
“free” user-to-user assistance. Research Policy, 32:923–943.

Woodrow Barfield - Intellectual Property Rights in Virtual Environments:
Considering the Rights of Owners, Programmers and Virtual Avatars -
Akron L. Rev. 649 (2006)

Alan Chein - A Practical Look at Virtual Property - St. John's L. Rev.
1059 (2006)

Casey Fiesler - Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Fandom: How
Existing Social Norms Can Help Shape the Next Generation of
User-Generated Content - Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and
Technology Law 729 (2007-2008)

Daniel Gervais - Tangled Web of UGC: Making Copyright Sense of
User-Generated Content, Vand. J. Ent. & Tech. L. 841 (2008-2009)

Harris Weems Henderson - Through the Looking Glass: Copyright Protection
in the Virtual Reality of Second Life - J. Intell. Prop. 165 (2008-2009)

Steven Hetcher - User-Generated Content and the Future of Copyright:
Part One - Investiture of Ownership Vand. J. Ent. & Tech. L. 863 (2007-2008

Ryan Kriegshauser - The Shot Heard around the Virtual Worlds: The
Emergence and Future of Unconscionability in Agreements Relating to
Property in Virtual Worlds, UMKC L. Rev. 1077 (2007-2008)

Greg Lastowka - User Generated Content and Virtual Worlds - Vand. J.
Ent. & Tech. L. 893 (2007-2008)

Todd David Marcus - Fostering Creativity in Virtual Worlds:Easing the
restrictiveness of copyright for user created content - New York Law
School Law Review - 52 2007/08

Ondrejka, C. R. (2005) ‘Escaping the Gilded Cage: User Created Content
and Building the Metaverse - New York Law School Law Review - 49 2004/05

Michael H Passman - Transactions of Virtual Items in Virtual Worlds -
Alb. L.J. Sci. & Tech. 259 (2008)

Ben Quarmby - Pirates among the Second Life Islands - Why You Should
Monitor the Misuse of your Intellectual Property in Online Virtual
Worlds - Cardozo Arts & Ent. L.J. 667 (2008-2009)

Regards,

Morgan Leigh
PhD Candidate
School of Sociology and Social Work