[Air-L] Facebook data goes public

Michael Zimmer zimmerm at uwm.edu
Tue Feb 9 10:10:11 PST 2010

I tend to agree with Jacob. I haven't had the chance to fully process/ponder this case (teaching today), but it seems that using an exploit based on Facebook's recent change in architecture -- when not all users have fully understood the consequences of said change -- to harvest profile information is extremely problematic from a research ethics pov.

I'll blog about this later, and hope to start a conversation at http://www.internetresearchethics.org as well.

-michael.

--
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies
e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
w: www.michaelzimmer.org