[Air-L] barbie the computer engineer

Ben Light B.Light at salford.ac.uk
Sat Feb 13 10:38:32 PST 2010

On a slightly different tack there are some interesting links here with Shoshana Magnet's work around the commodification of difference and suicidegirls.com.  I'm thinking with respect to how the makers of Barbie are commodifying the 'idea' of the female computer engineer and in doing so reinforcing gender stereotypes. At the risk of pointing out the obvious - a pink laptop, come on...

Here's the ref: Shoshana Magnet, Feminist sexualities, race and the internet: an investigation of suicidegirls.com, New Media & Society 2007 9: 577-602.

Ben

Ben Light
Professor of Digital Media
Communication, Cultural and Media Studies Research Centre
Associate Head of School - Research and Innovation
School of Media, Music and Performance
University of Salford
Adelphi House
SALFORD