[Air-L] Online Dating Studies

Ben Light B.Light at salford.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 06:32:23 PST 2010

I've done some work on Gaydar - it's published in Information Technology and
People, the European Journal of Information Systems and the International
Journal of Information Management (some is along with Gordon Fletcher and
Alison Adam) - you can find the papers at www.benlight.org or email me.

You should also check out Sharif Mowlabocus' work as well as he's worked in
a similar area.  There's also the book, 'love online' which might be of some
use too and John Campbell's 'Getting it on online'.  Also check out Shoshana
Magnets stuff on Suicide Girls in New Media and Society.  And I think it was
Nathalia Livia that did a study of the French Minitel System which is
related - the paper is in sexualities I think..  I cite it in the Gaydar
stuff.  Oh also check the citations in the gaydar paper for, I think it's
Arvidson in New Media and Society on Planet Out too...  I also cite a NMS
article of John Campbell's too that might be of interest...

Oh also look at Kayla Hales at Penn State - she published some early work on
CMC and relationship maintenance in a special issue of Information
Communication, Ethics and Society (2009 - vol 7, no 1).

Sorry this is garbled, dashing between meetings :O)

Ben.

Ben Light
Professor of Digital Media
Communication, Cultural and Media Studies Research Centre
Associate Head of School - Research and Innovation
School of Media, Music and Performance
The University of Salford
Adelphi House
Salford