[Air-L] Future Internet and Society: Complex Networks Perspective

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sun Feb 28 02:44:27 PST 2010

ESF-COST High-Level Research Conference: Future Internet and Society: Complex Networks Perspective
Acquafredda di Maratea, Italy, 2-7 October 2010
Closing date for applications: 1 June 2010
More information: www.esf.org/conferences/10341<http://www.esf.org/conferences/10341>
The digital revolution and the advent of the Internet are transforming the way we work, how we spend our free time. These phenomena are also changing how we communicate with each other and the way in which we establish and maintain our social relations. The relationship between Internet and society is complex and bidirectional, leading to a co-evolution of the two systems. In fact, the Internet exists because humans need networking and the Internet evolution is ultimately driven by our ever-increasing use of it.

The complexity of the current Internet structure and its future developments cannot be understood without taking a full multi-disciplinary approach. Such an approach must necessarily be based on the science of complex systems, and in particular complex network theory. It must also depend on social sciences and humanities to elucidate the underpinnings of the Internet at a societal and economic level.

This conference will bring together experts in Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), social scientists, as well as experts in the area of complex systems They will assess the state-of-the-art, identify new trends and envision future developments in the intertwined domains of future Internet and society.

Topics that will be covered in the conference include:

- Internet topology and modelling
- Complex techno-social networks
- Modelling of collective social behaviour
- Social and human dynamics
- Spreading and epidemics in techno-social systems
- Virtual social systems
- Co-evolution of Internet and society
- Internet as a socio-economical system
- Mobile social networks
- Internet enabled applications and business
- Future Internet as a techno-social system.

We welcome top-level presentations on the most recent results in analysis and modelling, from the point of view of complex systems and other techno-social issues.

jeremy hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research, School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (www.cipr.uwm.edu)

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/  Transdisciplinary Studies:the book series