[Air-L] Dartmouth college: Activism in the Electronic Age: The impact of technology on political protest

elham gheytanchi elhamucla at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 8 07:30:30 PST 2010

Please see below for a roundtable in which I will participate tomorrow:

Best,

Elham Gheytanchi

Santa Monica College

Activism in the Electronic Age: The impact of technology on political protest

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 @ 4:30 PM
Location : Haldeman Center, Room 041
Sponsored by The Dartmouth Centers Forum

Abstract:

The Western world watched with great anticipation the recent 2009 elections in Iran, in which large numbers of Iranian citizens actively protested the fairness and outcome of the election. Not only did Iranian protesters fill the streets of Tehran and the campuses of universities, they also appeared to fill cyberspace with their Facebook postings, Twitter Tweets, and Blogs.

Has technology always played a role in political protest – and if so, how? Or does new information technology and the Internet change the activity and impact of political protest in fundamental and new ways?

We will explore these questions and more with an expert panel of guest speakers who will discuss their own work on technology and protest, and then engage with the Dartmouth community for a discussion of such questions.

http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/events/dcfactivismpanel.html