[Air-L] In-class exercises to illustrate social networks (Not just virtual ones). . .

Giorgos Cheliotis gcheliotis.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 04:48:54 PST 2010

I teach a class on social media and a student group gave everyone in the
classroom a fake mini-profile printed on paper, with an identity, and a
need/task to complete. Then students had to ask those they know better or
those sitting next to them whether they can provide the thing they need
according to the mini profile. Then they could ask further, beyond their
immediate circle. The first match wins and the class discussed how many hops
it took to find a match (hint: the profiles and needs/tasks were generally
humorous). We've tried many such offline experiments in class, w.r.t. social
tagging, online self-presentation, etc., with some being more successful
than others. They were not specifically intended to illustrate SNA methods,
but rather to illustrate principles and uses of social networks.

Hope this is helpful

Giorgos

Giorgos Cheliotis
Assistant Professor