[Air-L] Privacy Buzz

Christopher Lueg cplueg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 01:57:38 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Jean Burgess <je.burgess at qut.edu.au> wrote:

> I understand that there is actually no business case for blanket privacy in
> the free-to-use, advertising-supported business model that drives Google,
> Facebook, and Twitter (indirectly), but I'm not sure there isn't a business
> model (where "business model" might or might not include a profit motive)
> that could work quite well and treat user communities with more respect -
> including respect for the knowledge and expertise they have developed
> through their work as users.

Just to comment on the "business case"
(especially the business case for the way they 'decided' to test
audience responses):

I reckon it will take a while until Google & their competitors realize
HOW MUCH damage Google have done to their reputation. It's not just
"normal" internet users that got concerned about the (ab)use of their
data, it also includes a lot of hardcore geeks that are really pissed
off.

Best regards
christopher

--