[Air-L] Call for papers

nadja.miczek at zegk.uni-heidelberg.de nadja.miczek at zegk.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Feb 24 13:13:59 PST 2010

last try :-) don't know what happened to the attachment, sorry.

Call for Papers

"Religions on the Internet - Aesthetics and the Dimensions of the Senses"

Special issue of "Online ? Heidelberg Internet Journal", due for
publication in October 2010

We herewith invite scholars from Religious, Cultural, Social, Media
Studies and other related disciplines to hand in proposals for
possible articles which deal with questions of the aesthtics and
sensual dimensions of religions and rituals on the Internet.
When we look on the various representations of religious groups and
individuals on personal homepages, in weblogs, in virtual worlds or
the like and when we follow their communications on religious topics
online, the visual and auditive aspects of the medium seem to play a
major role. Using pictures, videos, icons, as well as music and other
sounds, the internet users can design a multisensual virtual
environment which might implicate its own notion of 'aesthetics'. This
might be the case in e.g. a virtual Church environment which is
embedded in an area with plashy waterfalls and bird sound instead of
organ music or for religious groups in social networks who link to
home-made Youtube videos, online games and other homepages. But we
also must not forget the connection to these sensual dimensions that
refer to and rely on the (offline) bodies of religious practitioners.
Religions and rituals on the Internet might most probably provoke
emotional or other physical reactions. Furthermore, in transfer
processes between the offline and online realm there might be a
redefinition of what seems to be an 'appropriate' design for religious
settings.
As the aesthetic and sensual dimensions of religions and rituals on
the internet are so far a mostly neglected area of research, we call
upon theoretical and methodical reflection as well as on empiric
studies referring to these topics. We are looking forward to receive
the title and a short abstract (max. 250 words) of the planned article
until 31st of March 2010.

Further important dates and deadlines are:
April 15th: 	Notification on the acceptance of your proposal by the editors
August 31st: 	Submission deadline for full article
September 15th: Deadline for comments, requests of revisions by the
editors (if
necessary)
September 31st: Submission deadline for revised articles
November, 1st: 	Publication of the Online Journal

Please send your abstract to the following Email-addresses:
Simone.Heidbrink at zegk.uni-heidelberg.de
Nadja.Miczek at zegk.uni-heidelberg.de

--
Nadja Miczek M.A.