[Air-L] CFP: Cultural legitimation: the valorization of popular culture

kelly boudreau kelly.boudreau at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 05:45:32 PST 2010

Thought this might interest some on the list.

-Kelly Boudreau

Doctoral Candidate in Film Studies
Université de Montréal
Montreal, QC

BA / MA Sociology
Concordia University
Montreal, QC

http://digitalconversations.wordpress.com
---------------------------------

[Apologies for cross-postings /  pour affichages multiples]

Call for paper proposals

*Cultural legitimation: the valorization of popular culture*
Edited by Hélène Laurin and Dominic Arsenault

Founded at the Université de Montréal, *Kinephanos* is a bilingual
inter-university web-based journal. Focusing on questions involving cinema
and popular media, *Kinephanos* encourages interdisciplinary and
transdisciplinary research. The journal’s primary interests are movies and
popular TV series, video games, emerging technologies and fan cultures. The
preferred approaches include cinema studies, communication theories,
religion sciences, philosophy, cultural studies and media studies.

Theme

*Kinephanos*' second issue aims to explore cultural legitimation. One of the
discourses in our late modernity era seeks to valorize many movements and
phenomena dubbed “popular.” According to Pierre Bourdieu, cultural
legitimization is a movement toward making one field autonomous, whether be
its audience, or its economic foundations. However, this accreditation
operates according to many strategies, oftentimes unique, oftentimes shared,
but always drawing on wider social issues. One can think of remediation, as
explained by Jay David Bolter and Richard Grusin: whether be it cinema as
“filmed theater,” comic books as “graphic novels,” or video games as
“interactive movies,” the same relationship of “homage and rivalry” is at
stake with the prior, already established media and arts. We wish to publish
articles presenting those moments where popular culture is valorized, while
addressing the characteristic issues of this phenomenon, such as the
question of aesthetics or the question of power relations.

Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

- Case studies: video games, popular music, Hollywood cinema, television,
animation
- Cultural legitimation and celebrity
- Power and cultural legitimation
- Internet and cultural legitimation
- Academia and cultural legitimation
- Adaptations and transmediality
- Cult objects
- Popular culture and its socio-economic context
- Cultural industries’ histories

While *Kinephanos* privileges publication of thematic issues, we encourage
writers to submit articles exceeding the theme which will be published in
each issue.

How to submit?

*Extended abstracts* between 4 and 7 pages are to consist of the object, the
problem addressed and the title of the article. Please include
bibliographical references, your name, email address and your primary field
of study.

Send submissions (in French or English) by *March 15th, 2010* to:
laurinh at videotron.ca     or      dominic at le-ludophile.com

Following our acceptance sent to you by email (no later than *April 1st*),
please send us your completed article by *July 1st, 2010*.

For the editorial guidelines, refer to the section Us & How at
http://www.kinephanos.ca.