[Air-L] political web sites

Dave Karpf davekarpf at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 07:28:51 PST 2010

Likewise, Bimber and Davis's book on US political websites (*Campaigning
Online, *Oxford University Press, 2003) could be very useful.  For more
recent work, I'd suggest leafing through the Journal of Information
Technology and Politics.

One thing to keep in mind in your study, which I find often gets overlooked:
please, please, please take the time to study/interview the vendors that
produce these sites.  In the US, there are probably 3 or 4 major shops that
compete with each other to produce the web campaign materials for various
political campaigns.  I know that one of them, Blue State Digital, has made
headway in the UK as well.  The architecture and often the language of these
sites is not being produced by parties or candidates themselves, but rather
is being pitched to the parties or candidates.  Many sites will cluster
together not because of similar ideology, but because of an overlap in
vendor.

Best of luck with the study,
-Dave